This was the first issue in the 1962 The Twilight Zone comic series, published by Gold Key Comics
- Main article: The Twilight Zone (Gold Key)
The Gold Key The Twilight Zone was started with this issue in November, 1962. The series was a continuation of the previous Dell series from the year prior, which produced only four issues. Although it was a continuation of the title, the numbering did not continue and so this issue was labeled with a number one. The parent company, Western Publishing would later do this once more, in 1982, when the title was shifted to Whitman Comics for the final issue. This time the numbering continued and the final issue was labeled The Twilight Zone #92, bringing the series to a close after over twenty years of periodic publication.
Publication detailsThis issue was published in color as a saddle-stitched pamphlet on newsprint. The size was typical of Standard Silver and Modern Age comics and consisted of 36 pages, including ads. The cover was dated November 1962 and priced at twelve cents (American).
This issue contained four stories—three fully illustrated and one in text format—accompanied by two fact sheets and a cover pin-up. Each of the illustrated stories was introduced by Rod Serling as the Narrator.
- THE TWILIGHT ZONE, No. 1 , November 1962. Published quarterly by K.K. Publications, inc., Poughkeepsie, New York. In cooperation with Golden Press, inc. All rights reserved throughout the world. Authorized edition. Designed, produced and printed in the U.S.A. by Western Printing & Lithographing Co., copyright © 1962 by Cayuga Productions, Inc.
- Keys of Knowledge: "Frozen Worlds of Space"
- Type: Fact sheet, 1 page
- Credits: Joe Certa (Pencils), Joe Certa (Inks), machine (Letters)
- Summary: Page giving basic information on the planets Saturn and Jupiter, added to supplement the story "Perilous Journey", which had a setting on one of the planets.
- Genre/Subject: Science, Astronomy, Jupiter, Saturn
- "Perilous Journey"
- "Do Not Touch Exhibit"
- "Wings of Death"
- "Voyage to Nowhere"
- Keys of Knowledge: "Custer's Last Stand"
- Cover Pin-up
- Type: Pin-up, 1 page
- Credits: ?
- Summary: Reprint of the front cover art with text removed
Notes and references
- Bob Klein and Mike Tiefenbacher. "The Twilight Zone no 1 (1962 series)." Grand Comics Database. Retrieved: June 19, 2009.